Information for Advisors

Sources of Information (links)

Commonly-used forms

These forms are taken from the R&R Forms page - this page also contains many less-commonly used forms:

Other useful forms:

Useful forms for keeping advising records (modified from those used in Biology):

Graduation foms:

Graduation paperwork

The graduation process has recently been substantially streamlined.

Step 1 : The student applies online for graduation in MyPack. They should apply for any and all majors and minors they will be completing.

Step 2 : The student meets with their advisor, preferably during advising for their final semester, to review what they need for graduation. They should fill out the Graduation Application form before meeting their advisor, to ensure that they know exactly what they need for graduation, to handle any last-minute course substitutions, and to gather info for the graduation ceremony. The student will review this short form with their advisor, confirm the courses they need to register for for graduation on their degree audit, and put in any course subs that may be needed. This form is submitted to the Student Services office. If the student is graduating with more than one major, they will need to do this for each major.

If the student will be graduating with a minor, they also need to fill out a Minor certification form (below) when they meet with their advisor. Once signed off on, this form goes to the department they're getting the minor in for approval. These forms come BACK to us, and need to be attached to their graduation paperwork.

Either the Undergraduate Services Officer (Robert Davis) or the Undergraduate Coordinator (Jim Brown) can help you if you have any questions about this process.

Course Substitutions

Most students will need at least one course substitution in their degree audit by the time they graduate. All course substitutions require approval from the Dean's office, but generally speaking we are given increasing latitude the closer the substitution is to our subject area. Substitutions for General Education classes (GEP, or Languages, Humanities, Social Sciences and PE) must always be strongly justified, and you should perhaps consult with someone knowledgable about these in advance; those in Math and Science must be justified, but are usually easy (assuming they are reasonable); those in the Micro major can usually just be listed.

This table lists some common course substitutions that our department uses:


Reasonable substitutes

Example Justification

MB 103
MB 103, E 101, BAE 100, CS 103, M 100, PMS 100, PRT 150, PY 101, SSC 103, T 101, USC 101, USC 102, WPS 100 This course is a first-year orientation course in another program.
ALS 303, USC 298 This is an alternative to a freshman orienation course for students with >30cr.
ENG 333 ENG 331 or ENG 332 (No justification required)
BIO 181/183 ZO 150, ZO 160 These were the basic Biology courses taught at the time this student started at NCSU
Cell/Phys Elective Note : BIO 212 or BIO 250 are NOT acceptable substitutes for this requirement


Statistics ST 371 (No justification required)
Lab elective GN 312 or any 400-level lab course, e.g. in BIT, BEC, GN, BCH, FS This is an advanced lab course
Any 492 or 493 course - Confirm that the work was actually lab work rather than office, academic, or teaching work This was a lab experience for this student
MB 210 &/or MB 211 This is a lab course, approved for this requirement by our department
MB restricted elecive Any 400-level Micro course or course crosslisted in Micro. Other courses with advisor approval This is an advanced course on a microbiologically-related topic, suitable for use as a Microbiology restricted elective.
Science, Tech and Society For students in key 051, any class in the key 097 Interdisciplinary perspectives list can be substituted This is an IP course not included on the old STS list
ENG 101 ENG 111 + ENG 112 These were the appropriate English courses taught at the time this student started at NCSU
Any Micro course MB 493 - Independent Study This was an independent study arranged for this student on this topic

Some direct equivalents, requiring no justification:

  • GN 311 = GN 411
  • GN 312 = GN 412
  • GN 421 - GN 413
  • MB 480 = MB 490
  • BIO 414 = ZO 414
  • BIO 421 = ZO 421
  • BCH 351 = BCH 451 (at least for our majors)

Lecture/lab splits

These require description, but are routine, e.g.: This course was taken before the lecture and lab were split. The extra credit hour from the original course should substitute for the requirement for the lab.

  • MB 451 (4cr lecture/lab) -> MB 451 (3cr lecture) + MB 452 (2cr lab)
  • MB 411 (4cr lecture.lab) -> MB 411 (3cr lecture) + MB 412 (1cr lab)
  • CH 221 (4cr lecture/lab) -> CH 221 (3cr lecture) + CH 222 (1cr lab)
  • CH 223 (4cr lecture/lab) -> CH 223 (3cr lecture) + CH 224 (1cr lab)

Substituting transfer credits

Course substitutions for transfer students are often very complicated, but in most cases these will have been sorted out during the students first semester before the student is assigned a permanent advisor. Transfer equivalencies for courses taken at other institutions in North Carolina have usually been sorted out already, and this is even so for many courses taken in other states. However, most often these transfer credits have to be moved around to optimally fulfill degree requirements. These often must be justifiied, especially for non-science courses, and I suggest contacting someone knowledgable about them for advice.

Course substitutions for students who participate in Study Abroad are typically judgement calls, and are usually best arranged in advance. However, advisors are generally given broad latitude on these substitutions.

Transfer credits taken elsewhere AFTER the student has started at NCSU (e.g. at a community college over the summer) should not usually require substitution, because a student should make sure in advance that the course is on the list of transfer equivalents for a course that fulfills a specific requirement.